The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) says it has discovered one million illegal institutional admissions so far.
The board on Thursday in a statement said it was surprised that less than five per cent of such students’ details had been uploaded on the board’s portal by the institutions as required.
It blamed the inability of some candidates to obtain their admission letters which would qualify them to proceed on the one-year mandatory National Youth Service Corps or obtain exemption letters on the illegal admissions.
In a statement by its Head, Media and Protocol, Fabian Benjamin, the board said this phenomenon was especially true of products of undisclosed illegal institutional admissions conducted outside the Central Admissions Processing System (CAPS) between 2017 and 2020.
The statement said: “The series of complaints emanated from the frustrations of these set of students who are expressing anger at the lack of formal recognition of their degrees by relevant authorities.
“Consequently, the Hon. Minister of Education, Mall. Adamu Adamu, had out of compassion, approved a final batch of these underhand admissions.
“It should be recalled that based on that act of magnanimity, the Board had placed relevant advertisements in three national dailies (Blueprint, Guardian and Vanguard) of 24th November 2021. The same notice was featured on the Board’s website coupled with an easy-to-use Advisory issued to all institutions of higher learning to guide them on how these candidates could be redeemed.”