*Photo L-R: The State Coordinator, Muhammad Bello Yakubu, a governorship aspirant of the APC and former Executive Vice Chairman/Chief Executive of the National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructure (NASENI), Prof. Mohammad Sani Haruna and Coordinator, Southern Zone, Barr. Ibraheem Adika Atukpa, during the press conference by the aspirant on Nasarawa State primaries at his Campaign Office in Keffi on Sunday*
A former governorship aspirant on the platform of the All Progressives Congress in Nasarawa State, Prof. Mohammad Sani Haruna, has called on the party’s national leadership to cancel the recently concluded governorship primary election and conduct a fresh exercise.
Haruna, a former boss of the National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructure, alleged that the exercise was marred by widespread irregularities, intimidation and the disenfranchisement of party members across the state.
Speaking at a press conference in Keffi, Haruna said the process failed to reflect the democratic ideals for which the APC stands.
“As a committed democrat and loyal party member who participated fully in the process, I consider it necessary to address our supporters and the public regarding our position on the events surrounding the exercise,” he said.
He explained that his participation in the primary election was driven by his commitment to democratic principles, inclusive leadership and the development of Nasarawa State.
However, he expressed disappointment over what he described as disturbing developments during the conduct of the election.
“After carefully reviewing what we witnessed, reports from our agents, coordinators, party members, stakeholders and supporters across the state, we remain deeply concerned about several irregularities and developments that characterized the conduct of the exercise in many parts of Nasarawa State,” he said.
Haruna alleged that partisan individuals were deployed as electoral officials to favour a particular aspirant.
He also claimed that electoral materials and officials failed to arrive in several wards and polling units, thereby denying many party members the opportunity to participate.
“In many electoral wards, party members remained at the designated polling locations throughout the day and late into the night in anticipation of the arrival of electoral officials and materials that never came,” he said
He expressed satisfaction in the arrangements made for the conduct of the primary by the National Secretariat of the party, but blamed local state officials for hijacking the exercise.
He said: “I am satisfied with the concrete and efficient arrangements that the national body has organized. We witnessed the arrival of the committee to conduct the election in Nasarawa State.
“They efficiently and transparently displayed all that is involved in the process, and our representatives witnessed, understood and agreed with the process. However, what they did after the process — for instance, the distribution of electoral materials to senatorial zones — was witnessed by our agents.
“However, on arrival at the senatorial zone headquarters for onward distribution to local government councils, several materials went missing and could not be traced. From the local government headquarters, our officially accredited ward agents who were supposed to witness what was happening were not even allowed into the premises. From there, the destinations of the ballot boxes were not known.”
According to him, the situation created frustration and feelings of exclusion among loyal APC members.
“This situation understandably created deep frustration, disappointment and a strong feeling of disenfranchisement among loyal party members who had turned out and expected a transparent, peaceful and credible democratic exercise,” he stated.
Haruna maintained that evidence of the alleged irregularities had been documented through reports, photographs, videos and testimonies from stakeholders across the state.
He said the APC must protect its democratic image by ensuring fairness and transparency in its internal processes.
“I wholeheartedly urge the National Secretariat of APC to review the primary election and conduct a fresh one in Nasarawa State. We have to live up to our reputation as a truly progressive and democratic party,” he stressed.
The former aspirant, however, appealed to his supporters to avoid violence and remain peaceful while awaiting the outcome of consultations.
He said broad consultations were ongoing with elders, youth groups, women groups, political associates and community leaders to determine the next political step.
“At the conclusion of these consultations, we shall formally communicate our position and future direction to the public,” he added.