As a way of introduction, let me take a few minutes to give you an overview of what the Google Career Certificate entails:
- The programme was launched on 11th March 2021.
- No prior experience or technical skills required before someone enrolled.
- A prospective candidate can study IT support, Data Analytics, User Experience Design, Project Management or Android Development.
- With under 10 hours per week of study, a candidate can complete a course in 6 months.
Following the course’s official launching, Grow with Google unit conducted a webinar on 15th March to explain how the classes will be run alongside other important frequently asked questions. Based on this, I summarised the most important information that anyone looking for an entry-level job or wishing to change a career could understand the requirements.
- For a start, the course is accessible via the Coursera website except for the Android Development Course, and you can access the classes by clicking the hyperlink on each certificate (Google IT Support Professional Certificate, Google Data Analytics Professional Certificate, Google Project Management Professional Certificate, Google UX Design Professional Certificate and Android Development).
- These certificates will qualify applicants for eligible roles, such as apprenticeships and specific introductory-level jobs.
- The certificates are not entirely free, but there is financial assistance offered through Coursera. Those interested in financial aid will need to go to the certificate course page on Coursera and click the “Financial aid available” link next to the “Enroll” button.
- Participants taking Google User Experience Design Certificate will have access to free versions of Figma and Adobe XD for students. As such, they do not need to worry about buying the software separately.
- Upon completion of a Google Career Certificate, successful candidates will gain access to an exclusive job platform where they can easily apply to opportunities from over 130 employers with open jobs, including Google. These companies who are members of the Career Certificates Employer Consortium do not require experience outside of the certificate program.
- Besides, free resources are available to Certificate completers, including interview tips, mock interviews and resume building workshops, career coaching sessions and more.
- For further information on a specific course, you can signup via Grow with Google OnAir here.
As a caveat, readers from countries other than the US and Canada should note that the jobs Google is referring are mainly for US citizens. Nonetheless, I see value in enrolling in these courses since there are boundless remote work opportunities worldwide. Not only that, by completing some of these courses, one can become a full-time developer or create his own company for providing IT support.
Najeeb A. A. Gambo
Google Certified Trainer | Hootsuite Certified SM Expert | SAS Certified base programmer for sas 9 | Volunteer @HumanityRoad #CrisisInformatics #edTech #STEM